The action-packed HSMAI Sales Leader Forum last week in Frisco, Texas, included strategic conversations, thought leader keynotes, and collaborative roundtables. Read on for key takeaways from the event that highlighted important trends and provided critical insights and best practices.
On the Recovery
- We’ve reached a new high much quicker than other downturns driven by transient travelers, though central business districts in urban areas lag in recovery.
- ADR growth is slowing as consumers start pushing back against high growth rates and STR is predicting a mild recession for the second half of next year.
- There is an optimistic outlook as group travel is coming back and the rise in “bleisure” travel.
- Customers’ expectations have changed. We are driving ADR but customers are wondering where is the service for this rate increase?
How to Attract and Retain Talent
- It’s on us to talk about how awesome hospitality is and the benefits of the industry like living, working, and traveling all over the globe.
- Sales talent is everywhere, not exclusively at hospitality schools.
- Leaders should start and end their days talking to top talent. Many are so focused on who is quiet quitting, they are not focused on retaining top talent.
- Talent based leaders accept people for who they are (and aren’t).
- Commercial leaders should be collaborative, analytical, and competitive. If you wait for a unicorn of someone who is an expert in both sales and revenue strategy, you’ll still be looking in five years.
- We used to live in siloes, now you must have a full commercial view and use many data points to make targeted and strategic marketing decisions.
- Cross discipline training will result in more commercial leaders.
Improving Efficiency and Technology
- The future is digital. Traditional lead generation will soon be obsolete, and sales organizations need to keep up.
- The fastest way to great outcomes is building trusted relationships – internal and external.
- You need clean data and staff processes. Then automate everything you can. “Get the bots to do the things you hate, so you can get back to the things you love.” Kelly McGuire, ZS.
- Ask yourself, can you make it easier? Can you make it faster?
- The most efficient sales are the rebook, so service delivery is more important than ever.
- When posting on social media, have a goal in mind, include a call to action, and use emojis and hashtags. #HotelDigitalMarketingEssentials class starts next week! 😎
We’ll leave you with this life advice from Roger Dow, recipient of HSMAI’s Lifetime Achievement in Sales Award:
- Hand write notes
- Take risks
- Act as if…[you have the job you want]
- Slow down
And remember, “Everything in life is about sales.”
Stay tuned for session video recording coming soon.